Sunday, November 16, 2008

California's Prop 8

I guess I am considered pretty mixed up by some folks, but I can't for the life of me see why the Mormon Church would spend millions to defeat the gay marriage proposition in California. I know what the Bible says about homosexuality, but I have also known many gay Americans. I can't for the life of me, understand the hatred and bigotry directed toward them by people who are supposed to love their neighbors. I also know that no one does the institution of marriage any more damage than heterosexuals, who are determined to run from it every chance they get. They also find many, many ways to subvert it.

This country faces so many issues right now, not the least of which are people going hungry, losing their homes and jobs, and dumping their children. Yet, the Mormon Church, and I'm sure many other churches, found time to spend millions and energize hundreds to stump for votes, when they could have directed their energies toward doing something really Christ-like. They could have put their arms around their fellow man and helped him get his mule out the ditch.

Instead, they spent precious time and money to help him push his mule farther into the ditch. I continue to be amazed at the hatred that spews from the mouths of those, who purport to be Christian. I think my thought for the week from Gandhi says it all: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does it trouble you that there are people in the minority who will tear up others property, push and shove, enter houses of worship and act out, because they did not get things their way in a vote that we in the US are privileged to participate in?

Does it matter that God has a perfect plan for marriage and moral living, that when followed has blessings? Whose way should we follow? If someone is in danger, should we warn them or just pretend that if we are not personally involved, go on down the road (which leads to destruction)? mom2

Georgia Mountain Man said...

Mom2. I don't know where you are getting your information. I haven't heard a thing about the stuff you are talking about. I have searched reports of the demonstrations and have found nothing about entering churches and "acting out." The reports all say no arrests, no damage to property, peaceful demonstrations. Have you been reading that made up stuff on Worldview again?

Anonymous said...

georgia mountain man, you have selective viewing, reading and believing habits. You need to broaden your scope. mom2

Georgia Mountain Man said...

Hey, I checked every reliable news source and found nothing about that. Granted, I didn't check the biased, right wing religious ones, because they lie a lot.