Monday, July 5, 2010

College Sports Fanatics

I have never really understood anyone who is fanatic about anything, but college sports fanatics really stump me. Living in the state of Georgia, one has to put up with UGA sports fans and their constant whining. It all began with the one national college football championship, which the school won on the back of Hershel Walker, the phenom running back. Since that time, it seems, Bulldog fans have decided that they are supposed to win every year. If they do not, the whining begins.

This past week the UGA athletic director, Damon Evans, was arrested for DUI. To compound that there was an unruly passenger, who couldn't keep her mouth shut and was arrested for being drunk and disorderly. The problem here? She wasn't his wife and the trooper who made the arrest reported that her panties were in Evans' lap. They were red, incidentally, the UGA color. I don't know if they were the UGA brand.

This was simply another incident in a long line of criminal activities that that have frequented the UGA athletic program over the past few years. Some say it is simply a tradition that followed football coach, Marc Richt, from Florida State. I think it is a sign of the times, especially, when there is little oversight and positive influence from the athletic department.

All across the country there are supporters of college athletic programs who almost take these kinds of things personally and get angry and upset. Many of these people are not even alumni of the college. I have never been able to understand them. I followed UGA football for many years, but tired of the constant whining and the boorishness of many of the other supporters. I never wore red, had stickers all over my car, or shouted "woof, woof" at the top of my lungs.

I graduated from a small college that has had a strong football program for many years, now. I hardly noticed, other than to make a point to watch a championship game or two on TV. I watch college sports and I pull for various teams, but I don't buy their wares, and I can't tell you a short time later which one won the game. I guess I'm just not a fanatic about it. It will be interesting to watch the process of choosing a replacement for Damon Evans. I'm sure a portion of the "Bulldog Nation" will be displeased, but in the end the choice will become the best there is in the country. That's the way it is at UGA. Theirs is always the best.

3 comments:

Diane J Standiford said...

I hear ya. It starts in Jr High and goes on forever. I never understood it and never will. (I mean I get the whole bonding against a common enemy, but come on! These are GAMES!) I think it all causes more harm than good. Give me a little league bunch of kids any day, sans parents.

Doug B said...

Makes me think something is seriously lacking in the lives of fanatics. Balance, of course, for one thing.

That Baptist Ain't Right said...

I like college sports (GO SOUTH CAROLINA GAMECOCKS!) but I cannot stand UGA. They rank right up there with the NY Yankees & one notch behind Satan. Arrogant. They have got to get over Herschel. That being said, I agree that we all get too excited over sports ---- the exception being the World Cup. Soccer is not a matter of life & death: It is MUCH more important than that!